Desert Aviation Center Remodel
North Las Vegas, NV
2020 AIA Nevada Merit Award - Unbuilt Category
The Desert Aviation Center is located at the North entry to the North Las Vegas Airport.
The building includes office space for various tenants as well as a large hanger space.
The Design Team’s scope includes a full facade remodel to improve the appearance of the existing 1970’s building as well as improving the parking lot access.
Since the building becomes the front door to the VGT airport, the design presents a visual reference of what is beyond and within, through the use of a screen facade that incorporates a bold graphic of an airplane silhouette.
The proposed design is simple in nature, a screen with movable flaps set on a one foot grid REBRANDS the building. Each flap is set in motion by the varying winds, creating a dynamic composition that speaks to aeronautics- AIR / WIND/ MOVEMENT.
“REUSE” and “RESTORE” are design drivers. The existing building language is simplified throughout the use of a dark colored plaster resurfacing system, making it recess in the composition. The kinetic screen becomes the element that moves the building away from the steel warehouse feel unifying the composition.
• Site modifications: addition of driveway, re-striping
• Kinetic screen
• Perforated metal panel entry canopy with building signage
• Landscaped planters along the building (Perimeter Road Elevation)
• Perforated metal panels wrapping both existing north and south stair to match entry canopy
• Smooth cement plaster system on primary elevation, painted
• Exterior underside of soffits balcony and upper soffit: removal of metal panels and installation of perforated metal panels to match entry canopy and wrap at stairs